Of course, he has other names too. Mel, Butch, Dad, Pappy. But my Bean and Bear, they call him Papaw.
I know this is probably a weird place to put this. I have shared these feelings with him, but I want to write them down too. So they will always be here. For my girls to see. So they will always know how much he loves them.
I remember the day the Bear was born. He was on his way home from Duke. He made it, just in time. And he was there to greet our first love. And I was SO happy he made it. He was also there the day the Bean was born. Pacing those hospital floors just like he was the new daddy, waiting to meet this new life. See, he has had this mean disease called cancer since I was growing the Bear in my stomach. But he has fought it. And hard.... And over the past three years, we have had him. The girls have had him. And he still continues to fight. Because that is just who he is.
I have learned so much from him. How to love, appreciate, smile, accomplish, you name it. I know it didn't seem like it for many years, but as he was teaching, I was listening. I absorbed it all to use in later years. Thank goodness.
In the past month, his health has deteriorated. Very much. So much that I know his time here on earth with us is coming to it's end. And I am so sad about that. For so many reasons. Reasons I don't have to tell you. I am sure you know. My heart hurts the most for my girls. The selfish part of me wants him to be here to see them grow. To
teach them like he taught me. But I also know that his heart is wrapped up super tight in those blankets my girls take to bed every night to comfort them. And that makes my heart hurt just a little less. Just look at the love....
From new life, to ending life, and the in between. He has been there. And out of all of those names he has had over the years, I call him Dad....... All my Love.
3 comments:
And what a great job he did with you...I can only hope that when my time has come our girls will show me the compassion and love you have shown your dad over the last couple of weeks. I know he is proud of you, he has told me more than once. I'm also very proud of you. I know how unfair this disease is, but always remember, neither disease nor death can conquer love.
So beautiful..and I'm so sorry. I'm just glad your dad and daughters have had the chance to be together in this world....it's truly a blessing
Kelly what a wonderful tribute to your dad. Little did we know he would be leaving us quite that soon. Just looking at these pictures of him with them brings me such comfort (and a little saddness too). I love love love reading your blog. Keep those posts coming.
love
mom
Post a Comment